About Evanston and Chicago
Welcome to the Evanston and Chicago communities. We’ve created this page to support your campus experience with resources linking you to Evanston and Chicago housing, childcare, schools, healthcare, as well as community and recreational activities. Please take advantage of them and work to strengthen your connection to Northwestern University and its surrounding communities.
Evanston is a dynamic and diverse community that is home to Northwestern University. Evanston borders Chicago on the north side, along the southwestern shores of Lake Michigan.
Chicago is the third largest U.S. city, along the southwestern shores of Lake Michigan. Northwestern University’s Chicago Campus is located between the edge of Lake Michigan and the famous "Magnificent Mile" on Michigan Avenue.
Facts About Chicagoland
- Chicago is home to over 40 museums, more than 150 theaters and over 6,000 restaurants.
- Chicago is home to one of the last free zoos in the world, the Lincoln Park Zoo.
- The Art Institute of Chicago is home to the largest collection of Impressionist paintings in the world, apart from the Louvre (Paris).
- The world’s biggest outdoor food-fest is held in Chicago each summer, known as the ‘The Taste of Chicago’.
Relocating the whole family? Relevant resources are available at this Office of Human Resources webpage, which includes information on childcare, schools and health care. You can also check out the TGS Child and Family Resources page.
Culture and Recreation
- Northwestern Athletics
- Fitness & Recreation
- Pick-Staiger Concert Hall at the Bienen School of Music
- Evanston Restaurants
- Chicago Metromix
- Virginia Wadsworth Wirtz Center for the Performing Arts
- The Block Museum
- Office of Community Relations
Professional and Social Organizations
- Association of Northwestern University Women (ANUW)
- The Gay and Lesbian University Union (GLUU)
- Organization of Women Faculty (OWF)
- University Circle
- The Women’s Center