The Student Legal Services Office provides an attorney, with an office, to eligible, full-time students in The Graduate School (TGS) on both campuses. The Evanston campus office is at 633 Clark Street, North Tower, Room 1-575. The Chicago campus office is located at 710 North Lake Shore Drive, Abbott Hall, 3rd Floor Suite 332, Room 303.
The attorney is available from 10AM-4PM on selected dates of each month. Please send an email to Kayla Carbone to schedule an appointment in advance. Appointments are highly recommended. During the days on which the attorney is in the office, you may call 847-467-4LAW (4529) or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to check the attorney's availability for that day. Walk-in students are also welcome, based upon availability.
All currently enrolled, full-time Northwestern University graduate students and Kellogg MBA students are eligible to receive legal consultation if they have paid the activity fee. The Student Legal Services Office is funded by TGS and the Kellogg Graduate School of Management through proceeds from student activity fees. Students enrolled full-time, but not charged the activity fee (TGS 512) are not eligible. Student Legal Services are provided at no additional charge to students.
The office is able to advise students on most legal issues. If you are interested in meeting with the attorney, here’s what you need to know:
- Students are entitled to one appointment per legal issue.
- Each appointment is up to one hour in length.
- If the student’s matter requires further legal assistance, the office will advise the student to retain an attorney to handle the student’s matter to completion.
- The Student Legal Services office does not provide legal advice by telephone or via e-mail.
- Intellectual property questions will not be handled by this office and should be directed to the INVO office.
In its discretion, the office may decline to provide legal consultation due to a conflict of interest (e.g., issues relating to Northwestern University, student groups, other Northwestern University students or attorney conflicts).
Upcoming Dates - Evanston Campus
- February 7
- February 21
- March 7
Upcoming Dates - Chicago Campus
- January 24
- March 21
The following list is a non-exclusive list of legal issues addressed by the Student Legal Services office*:
- Lease and sublease review
- Municipal ordinance violations
- False identification matters
- Criminal issues
- Credit and debt problems
- Contract breach
- Domestic issues
- Dissolution of marriage
- Automobile accidents
- Medical billing issues
- Employment contract review
- Parking/Traffic violations
- To learn more about the Parking Tickets and Traffic Violations in Evanston and Chicago, download this PDF from Arthur Corbin.
- Landlord/Tenant disputes
- If you wish to meet with the attorney about an issue with your landlord, please familiarize yourself with your rights as a tenant by reading our landlord/tenant FAQ assembled by Arthur Corbin, which details common lease provisions in Evanston and Chicago.
- Litigation matters
- Personal injury
- Insurance concerns
- Business formation
- Contract drafting/review
- Consumer rights issues
* Communications made between a student client and the attorney will be protected under attorney-client confidentiality rules in accordance with the Illinois Rules of Professional Conduct. If a student’s matter requires further legal assistance, upon request, the Student Legal Services office can assist the student in locating an attorney suitable to the student’s needs.
Notary Public Services
Notary services are available for students Monday - Friday at a number of different locations throughout campus. Hours and locations are as follows:
Notaries at Norris Center, 1999 Campus Drive, 1st floor
Cashiers office is open M-F 9AM-4PM
Frank Zambrano (847) 491-8655
Notaries at Scott Hall, 601 University Place, lower level
University Residential Life is open M-F 8:30AM-4PM
Lesa Darcy (847) 491-3541