Career Development Grant Program for Humanists and Social Scientists
The Career Development Grant Program for Humanists and Social Scientists is intended to facilitate students’ next professional steps after graduate school whether they are on the conventional academic path or not. The awards can be used to cover costs directly related to a job search — such as travel to conferences or other venues to interview — or for items such as production costs for job market materials.
Grants are awarded on a rolling basis until August 31, or until funds are depleted. Students must apply for the grant no more than one month after the date the expenses were incurred. (Students are encouraged to apply at least two weeks in advance of when expenses will be incurred as it takes three-four weeks to process awards).
- Students must be registered and in good academic standing in PhD or MFA programs administered by The Graduate School (TGS).
- Students must be in a humanities or social science discipline.
- Students should be completing degree requirements within (at most) two years.
- Doctoral student applicants must have passed the qualifying exam and have an approved prospectus in order to apply for funds. MFA students should have completed at least three quarters of full time registration.
- Students can be granted up to $400 over the course of their graduate career (either in one $400 award or multiple awards that total $400).
- The award can be used to cover costs directly related to a job search, including cost of travel to interview (at conferences or other venues) and production costs for job market materials (for example, copying, binding, postage for mailing application materials, Interfolio or other credential services, business cards).
- Ineligible costs are clothing, equipment, travel to Chicago for dissertation defense or anything not specifically related to a job search.
- Each student will receive an email notification when the grant is approved requesting a departmental chart string into which funds can be transferred. Unused funds must be returned to TGS. Funds can only be transferred to unrestricted or designated chart strings for distribution to the student; sponsored project, gift or endowment accounts may not be used for this purpose. Students' departments are expected to handle all reimbursements following submission of an expense report.
Email Kate Veraldi for more information.