Program and Curriculum Changes
The Graduate School (TGS) oversees doctoral and academic Master's programs and curricula, as well as the curricula of MFA programs in the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Communication.
The Graduate Curriculum Review Chart at the bottom of this page summarizes which kinds of proposals require approval by: school/college curriculum committees; TGS; the Graduate Faculty; TGS's Administrative Board; and/or the Office of the Provost. In all cases, review by school/college curriculum committees or TGS is the first step in the process.
In many cases, review by school/college curriculum committees should proceed review by TGS. Please check with your school’s committee regarding their timeline for review. TGS’s Administrative Board reviews proposals at fall, winter, and spring meetings. If implementation of your proposal is time-sensitive, consult with TGS’s Academic Affairs as soon as possible about the necessary lead time for implementation. Proposals should be submitted to TGS’s Associate Dean for Academic Affairs by the following deadlines for the 2016-2017 academic year:
- Fall quarter review, September 30, 2016
- Winter quarter review, January 27, 2017
- Spring quarter review, April 21, 2017
Changes to existing clusters and certificates, as well as the introduction of new clusters and certificates, may be implemented as soon as the quarter following the term in which approval is granted. Proposals for new courses should be reviewed at least two quarters prior to the first term in which the course will be offered.
New degree programs must also be approved by the Office of the Provost before program set-up may begin, requiring a lead-time of up to 18 months to be developed. For additional information on this process, please refer to the New Program Development page on the Office of the Provost’s website.
New Degrees, Clusters and Certificates
Proposals for new or revised degrees, clusters, and certificates must be submitted to TGS using the appropriate template. These include:
- New master's and doctoral programs
- Curricular modification of existing master's and doctoral programs (number of courses, type of offerings, requirements, etc.)
- New graduate certificates and clusters
- Curricular modification of graduate certificates (number of courses, type of offerings, requirements, etc.)
Course Additions, Deletions or Modifications
The procedure to add, modify or delete courses for graduate credit varies by school. In most cases, these proposals should be submitted to school/college curriculum committees. The following types of proposal require the approval of TGS and its Administrative Board:
- Course additions, deletions and modifications for all interdisciplinary, cross-school and dual degree programs (inclusive of: All Feinberg programs, NUIN, IBiS, Counseling, Marriage & Family Therapy, Applied Physics, Tech & Social Behavior, Plant Biology and Conservation.)
Programs in the following schools should work directly with their curriculum committees in order to propose new program-specific courses or changes to already-existing courses meant to count toward the degree:
- Henry and Leigh Bienen School of Music
- McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science
- School of Communication
- Kellogg School of Management
- School of Education and Social Policy
- Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences (see the New Course Proposal website)
The Office of the Registrar provides a quarterly class schedule proof to programs. Programs are responsible for reflecting the graduate curriculum on their own program websites. TGS does not list courses for each program.
|Hyperlinks to TGS templates are included||Sequence for Review|
|TGS Review||Graduate Faculty||
|Office of Provost Approval|
|Degrees||New masters or doctoral program||N/A||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Curricular modification for existing TGS masters and doctoral programs (number of courses, type of offerings, requirements, etc.)||N/A||✓||✓*||✓||N/A|
|Clusters||New or revised graduate cluster||N/A||✓||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Certificates||New graduate certificate||N/A||✓||✓||✓||N/A|
|Curricular modification (number of courses, type of offerings, requirements, etc.)||N/A||✓||✓*||✓||N/A|
|Courses||New required course (program-specific, non-interdisciplinary WCAS, SoC, Music, SESP, Kellogg, McC)||✓||✓||N/A||✓||N/A|
|New required course (Feinberg, TGS-exclusive, cross-school, and dual degree programs) †||N/A||✓||N/A||✓||N/A|
|New elective course (program-specific, non-interdisciplinary WCAS, SoC, Music, SESP, Kellogg, McC)||✓||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|New elective course (Feinberg, TGS-exclusive, cross-school, and dual degree programs) †||N/A||✓||N/A||✓||N/A|
N/A: not applicable
* Only if the change represents a significant curricular overhaul (consult with TGS Academic Affairs for advice)
† Inclusive of: All Feinberg programs, NUIN, IBiS, Counseling, Marriage & Family Therapy, Applied Physics, Tech & Social Behavior, Plant Biology and Conservation.