Dr. John N. Nicholson Fellowship
The Dr. John N. Nicholson Fellowship provides financial support for outstanding Northwestern graduate students enrolled in PhD programs in the sciences, engineering and management. Preference is given to applicants of Greek extraction or descent.
The fellowships are named for Dr. John N. Nicholson, a physician who practiced in the Chicago area for more than 50 years. A leader in the Greek-American community, Dr. Nicholson established an endowment at Northwestern University to support academically superior and highly motivated graduate students in selected fields.
The Dr. John N. Nicholson Fellowship provides full tuition payment and a stipend for 9 months at the same rate as a University Fellowship. Awards are for one academic year only, but awardees may reapply.
Friday, January 6, 2017.
Applications are by program nomination, only. TGS will consider a maximum of three applications per program. Departments may have their own deadlines to allow department nominators time to prepare applications for electronic submission, so check with your department.
Recipients of the fellowships must be US citizens. Northwestern students enrolled in PhD programs in basic sciences or management are eligible to apply. Each academic program may submit a maximum of three nominations.
Students receiving graduate assistance must meet adhere to the regulations governing recipients of University assistance.
- Full tuition payment and a stipend for 9 months at the same rate as a University Fellowship.
- Awarded for three quarters beginning in fall quarter of award year. Awards are for one academic year only, but awardees may reapply.
The materials described below must be collected into a single PDF file and submitted via email to Kate Veraldi by the program's Director of Graduate Study (or designee).
1. Cover sheet
List the following information:
- Student (EMPL) ID number
- Program of Study
- Degree sought
- NU Email address
- Quarter and year of entry to The Graduate School at Northwestern University
- Are you of Greek extraction or descent? (Optional)
- Proposal/Project Title:
- List all outside fellowship competitions you are applying for
- List all external funds that do/will support you
2. Statement of purpose
Include a description of your career goals (500 words).
3. Curriculum vitae (in the format specified by this template)
4. Letter of recommendation from advisor
5. Unofficial Northwestern transcript
Email Kate Veraldi for more information.