While completing your online application, you will be required to submit one scanned copy of your transcript or academic record from each school you have attended.
When submitting your transcript, please be mindful of the following:
- Do not send transcripts unless you are admitted and intend to enroll at Northwestern University. Official transcripts received before an offer of admission has been made will be discarded.
- If you are recommended for admission and decide to enroll, you will be required to submit one official copy of each of your transcripts to The Graduate School (TGS) Admission Office.
- Make sure your scanned transcripts are legible. Illegible transcripts will not be reviewed.
- Enrolling students should send official transcripts directly from the issuing institution’s Registrar —either mailed in sealed, unopened envelopes or emailed as official, electronic transcripts.
- Please be sure that your official transcripts list all degrees that you will earn prior to enrolling at Northwestern University.
- New students will not be permitted to register for their second quarter of study until all official transcripts (including degree awarding transcripts) have been received by TGS.
- Please do not upload foreign language transcripts unless they are accompanied by an official English translation bearing the original ink signature and seal of the issuing university.
- Any fraudulent activity or discrepancies found between uploaded and official transcript(s) will result in the immediate revocation of admission and/or dismissal from Northwestern University.
FAQs - Transcripts
Q: Should I mail TGS my official transcripts?
A: All applicants should upload a copy of their transcript or academic record to the online application. Official transcripts are only required for applicants that have been admitted and have chosen to enroll at Northwestern. Official transcripts received before an offer of admission has been made will be discarded. For enrolling students, official transcripts must be received before you may register for your second quarter of study.
Q: I have been admitted and have chosen to enroll. Where should I mail my official transcripts?
A: All enrolling students should mail their official transcripts to:
The Graduate School
Office of Graduate Admission
633 Clark Street
Evanston, IL 60208-1113
Q: My bachelor's degree is not listed on my transcript yet. Should I send TGS my current transcript and then the degree-awarding transcript later?
A: No. Please wait and only send us your final, degree-awarding transcript.
Q: Do I have to send you my non-degree transcripts?
A: Yes. All post-secondary transcripts are required. The exception is if the class and its grade appear on another school’s transcript that is already being sent.
Q: My transcripts are from a foreign country and I cannot provide you with my only original copy. What should I do?
A: You may have certified copies of your foreign transcripts sent if you are not able to send the original official copies. Please have them certified by your university, education/foreign affairs ministry. We do NOT accept certifications from Notary Publics or credential agencies. If the originals are not in English, a literal English translation must be supplied as well. Please be advised, you will be required to show TGS your original, official transcripts before the end of your first quarter of study. We will review the originals and return them to you.